27 Prayer flags and Annapurna base camp, Pokhara, Nepal


Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dhanybhad


Thank you

to Cathy and all the members of the Midwifery Society of Nepal for helping us find clinical placements

to the nurses who taught and supervised us through long, tiring shifts

to all of the beautiful and generous Nepali people who became our friends and made us feel so welcome in their country

to the inventors of Nepali momos - the best snack ever

to Matthew (Yarrow's husband) who came on the trip and gave us such good company and so many laughs

to our friends and family back home who gave us so much love and many, many messages of encouragement and support throughout our journey

to those who read our stories on this blog

to the babies who came around during resuscitations and took their first breaths when we willed them to, and who patiently allowed us to snuggle with them when we had free time

to Yarrow, who was an amazing companion, the best partner to attend births with, and who constantly wowed me with her skills as my classmate-turning-midwife. You're inspiring. Thank you for telling me I "could do it", during that shoulder dystocia.

And finally, thank you (dhanybhad) to the mothers who allowed us to attend them during their births. These women taught us more than we could have imagined about strength, bravery, perseverence, and the power of the female body. It was a thrill and a privilege to be mit wife (with women) in this country. We won't forget the sweet smiles, hand squeezes, and lovely moments these women shared with us.



We arrived home safely on June 27th to a very warm welcome in the Vancouver airport. Yarrow and I have one more clinical placement left this summer, and then we'll be starting our fourth and final year of Midwifery school. We graduate in May 2011.

We're very excited for the year ahead and feel lucky to be able to bring along all the invaluable lessons that we learned in Nepal. We have very precious memories from our trip and hope to continue learning about and practicing midwifery in other countries in the future.

Namaste and love to everyone,
Lauren

4 comments:

  1. Amazing journey!!
    would like to talk with you, could you write to me maudepm@hotmail.com
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren and Yarrow,
    I'm a 1st year midwifery student at McMaster and I'm starting to look into international placements. I'd love to chat with either of you about your Nepali experience and how you made your arrangements there, etc. I'm heading to Nepal this summer (just for travel/honeymooning) but I'm considering doing my placement there in 3rd year. I might try to scout stuff out while I'm there this summer. If you have a free minute and can send me a quick email, that'd be wonderful.
    Many thanks!
    Katelin
    katelingoheen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog. Really super that you had such a good time & learned so much. That's what it should be all about. Your photos are awesome.
    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren and Yarrow,
    I'm a 3rd year midwifery student from NZ. Myself and a friends from uni are planning on going to Nepal at the end of the year for our overseas placement. Originally we were planning on going to Kathmandu but your time in Bharatpur sounds amazing. I was wondering if you would be able to get in touch with me so I can ask a few more question regarding how you went about organising your placement and get some advise from you. I know this blog is 5 years old now but if you read this I would greatly appreciate talking with either of you. My email address is ruby.melsom@gmail.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete